One of the items on my 'list of things to do this year' was to run two half-marathons. I hadn't run one since April of 2008, so I was due and the opportunity to take part in the inaugural Seattle event presented itself. Me and 24,999 of my closest friends were treated to perfect running conditions- dry and warm, a well-marked course, and even some bald eagles sightings to boot yesterday. I read in the newspaper that 40% of the racers were from out-of-state, and I heard several exclaiming how pretty it was here!
I did my training- the long runs at least... I had a little more trouble with the mid-week runs. When I get home from work, I normally have zero energy and fall asleep on the sofa early, which is a problem for getting in 4-5 mile runs. I noticed my times are steadily getting slower... I used to do a ten minute mile, all the time. This race my pace was a 12 minute mile- practically a leisurely jog! I figure this might be due to my slight lack of training. Let's hope that's the reason.
When I was in high school I was on the cross country team- and I stank! I know I was last in most of the races, there were a few where I wasn't. I always have a fear of being last in my races now. "At least I'm not last," is my mantra during many runs when I'm feeling like I should be going faster. The last eight miles of NYC my mantra was 'Help me Jesus!" I didn't care if I was last, I just wanted to make it through 26.2 miles!
One of the great things I'm reminded of every time I race is that ALL kinds can and do run. Every body type, every size, every age. Spandex is out in full on race days... cellulite, lots of leg, who cares! There's a joke that the more competitive the racer you are, the shorter your running shorts! It's the truth though... watch out.
I'm pretty darn sore today... but a well earned sore! Mom and dad were able to see me run in a few different places on course, providing great encouragement and photo proof of the adventure!
1 comment:
Documented proof of your craziness. Good job, Heidi!
Post a Comment