Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fun with Portrait Sessions

Today I completely set-up, photographed and tore down a portrait shoot. Lighting, light boxes, backgrounds, slaves- the whole lot. I was fine until I had to actually start photographing a live human... it was intimidating! The images turned out okay, but I think I could have done better if I wasn't so nervous... just one of those things that takes time.
The fun continued when my manager showed my co-worker and I 16 or so different ways of lighting a portrait with one light, rather than the standard recommendation of three. He was in the photo/film industry for about 25-30 years, so he knows all the tricks. He is very particular about how you put away the lighting stands and extension cords (Dad- you would be proud of his cord wrapping skills!)
Anyway, after setting up everything, he snapped this one of me- "how women prefer to be photographed- soft, fuzzy light!" I'm holding a 3' x 4' reflector at my waist as a bounce light- does the trick!!

1 comment:

Mark and Sarah said...

Wow! That makes your eyes POP!! Way to go! Portrait photography seems difficult! So happy to read about your day :)