Friday, June 20, 2008

The Girls

I haven't really written about my small group yet, so it's time. April, Heather, Katie, Krissy and Me. A fabulous group of girls: three married, two not, one baby and a couple on the way. We've come from Seattle, Oregon, New Mexico and Pittsburgh. I used to live with most of them in the Blue House in West Seattle, but as they got married, it became harder and harder to find new roomies, so we eventually just let go of the house.

There's been an interesting cohesion in the past few years, where Thursday nights are "Girl's Night", and the husbands know it! We really miss each other if someone is out of town or can't make it. And we've really leaned on each other for prayer and support through joys and hardships. We study the Bible, talk about life, laugh, share and learn all kinds of great things from each other's life experiences. They are true friends. I can say whatever, and not have to worry about judgement or criticism. I love being able to make them all laugh with my weird sense of humor- which doesn't come out much with people beyond my family. I've also learned all kinds of things about the body, babies, and birth- it helps to have a friend who is a midwife! Everyone comes from different types of families, work in different roles, and look ahead to different things. But we are all rooted in our friendship and our faith. I'm truly thankful for these friends of mine (to take a line from Rosie Thomas!)

Me, Heather, Katie, Krissy and April

2 comments:

Mark and Sarah said...

What a neat posse!

apriljahns said...

Aw, shucks - you almost made me cry. I think I speak for the gang when I say we think the world of you, Heidi. We are very blessed to have each other. I feel so special that I get to see your funny side - you crack me up (to borrow a line from you).